I am Mengheng Li, Lecturer (assistant professor) at Economics Discipline Group, University of Technology Sydney. Before working at UTS, I was a Research Analyst at the Economic Research and Policy Division, the Dutch Central Bank.
Download my CV.
Research interests: Time series econometrics
- Dynamic time series models
- Nonlinear non-Gaussian state space models
- Empirical macroeconomics
- Bayesian econometrics
1. Long term forecasting of El Niño events via dynamic factor simulations, with S.J. Koopman, R. Lit, and D. Petrova. Journal of Econometrics, DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jeconom.2019.05.004.
2. Forecasting economic time series using score-driven models with mixed-data sampling, with P. Gorgi and S.J. Koopman. International Journal of Forecasting, DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijforecast.2018.11.005.
3. Unobserved components and stochastic volatility in U.S. Inflation: Estimation and signal extraction, with S.J. Koopman. Forthcoming at Journal of Applied Econometrics.
4. Are long-run output growth rates falling? with I. Mendieta-Muñoz. Metroeconomica. DOI:https://doi.org/10.1111/meca.12275 2018-02. Best Paper Award of the International Network for Economic Research (INFER) Annual Conference.
1. Leverage, asymmetry and heavy tails in the high-dimensional factor stochastic volatility model, with M. Scharth. R&R JOURNAL OF BUSINESS & ECONOMICS STATISTICS. UTS Business School Economics Discipline Group Working Paper Series: 2018-49. Paper
2. Look for the stars: Estimating the natural rate of interest, with I. Hindrayanto. R&R MACROECONOMIC DYNAMICS. Paper
3. The multivariate simultaneous unobserved components model and identification via heteroskedasticity, with I. Mendieta-Muñoz. UTS Business School Economics Discipline Group Working Paper Series: 2019-08. Paper
Work in progress
1. Univariate treatment of multivariate latent stationary processes when they are superimposed
2. Bayesian analysis of the mean-volatility dynamic factor moel, with D. van Dijk.
3. U.S. shocks and the uncovered interest rate parity, with B. Fu.
- 2013-2018 Ph.D. in Econometrics, VU University Amsterdam and Tinbergen Institute, the Netherlands; Ph.D. committee: prof.S.J. Koopman; prof.A. Lucas; prof.D.J.C. van Dijk; prof.S.J.G. van Wijnbergen; prof.C.G.H. Diks; prof.A. Harvey; dr.P. Gorgi; dr.H. Karabiyik
- 2016 Visiting Ph.D., Discipline of Business Analytics, The University of Sydney, Australia
- 2013-2015 M.Phil. in Economics (cum laude), University of Amsterdam and Tinbergen Institute, the Netherlands
- 2010-2013 B.Sc. in Econometrics and Operations Research (cum laude), Tilburg University, the Netherlands
Economics Discipline Group
University of Technology Sydney
Room CB08.09.016, Building 8, Dr Chau Chak Wing Building
14 – 28 Ultimo Road, Ultimo, NSW 2007
+61(02) 9514 4375